The L’Enfant Trust’s Historic Properties Redevelopment Program is D.C.’s first nonprofit real estate developer with a primary mission of historic preservation. By focusing on very distressed properties, the Trust brings vacant buildings back to productive use, generates high-quality housing stock for the community, and takes on historic rehabilitations that would not be economically feasible for a homeowner or a for-profit developer because the rehabilitation costs exceed fair market value.
Our current rehabilitation projects will be sold to moderate-income families such as teachers, health care workers, and government employees that serve the community but are often priced out of the District’s expensive housing market. Our work supports the efforts of neighborhood residents, community organizations, and the District to provide a wide variety of much-needed housing, and to ensure that the irreplaceable fabric of historic neighborhoods in all eight wards of our nation’s capital are not lost.
1326 Valley Place, SE
Wrongful Housing 2001
1326 Valley Place, SE is one of a row of five homes, built on speculation by Henry A. Griswold, president of the Anacostia and Potomac River Railway and Uniontown developer, in 1885. Griswold, friend and associate of Frederick Douglass, was responsible for the first streetcar to transport Washingtonians from the District to Anacostia.
The rear half was demolished by the DC Government and will be rebuilt within the original footprint. The fully rehabilitated home will include 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, and be sold to moderate-income buyers.
1518 W Street, SE
Acquired by DC Government 1996
Built by H.A. Linger, President of the Anacostia Building Association. This intact, two-story, Cottage style house still retains its original wood siding and fish scale shingles. One of the homes residents was Alfred Kaufman, a prominent builder in Southeast Washington.
The homes will have 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths and be sold to moderate-income buyers.
1648 U Street, SE
Foreclosure Notice 1993
The frame dwelling is said to have been erected in 1908 for W.H. Grimes. One of the property’s residents of the 1930s was John Edge, a Weather Bureau employee and an Army veteran of the Spanish-American War. By the 1970s, the home was being rented, advertised particularly to veterans.
The rear half was demolished by the DC Government and will be rebuilt within the original footprint. Upon completion, the home will include 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and be sold to moderate-income buyers.